Pages

Dave and the Drag Queens

Dave and the Drag Queens
Bread - The Staff of Life

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Old Ebbitt Grill







I recently had the opportunity to visit Old Ebbitt Grill in DC. The landmark institution with a vast checkered history was reminiscent of the Old Homestead in NYC, where I spent several years working in a couple of different positions. Dark mahogany covers every inch of the Corner Bar where I planted myself literally at the corner. I was jonesing for oysters and I found the half price happy hour raw menu to be just the ticket. Mike the bartender who had the look of a wayward but friendly prizefighter of yesteryear was quiet but attentive and hospitable. I ordered an Absolute Martini Straight Up - Dirty. ( look it up if you are so inclined and not well versed). The first one was true perfection. Ice cold- Chilled glass- huge olives and enough cloudiness to know Mike had spilled in plenty of brine. Mike chuckled when I requested a bigger glass. No need to worry, I was on foot for the night.
The corner bar room was like being in the real life trophy room of the guy who crafted the original Duck Hunt. There is a gun cabinet behind glass and filled with all manner of rifles. The room is filled with what appeared to be migrating Snow Geese bolted to the ceiling, Plovers and Mallards. There is a huge statue of a retriever perched in the window ready to pounce. Faux copper gaslights hang from the ceiling. If I had to describe the Corner Bar in a few short words It would be intimate, familiar and clubby. ( Not Cubby from the Mickey Mouse Club- he's different)
Now for the raw part of it. Ebbitt's has a phenomenal raw menu. The deal of the decade is Happy Hour 3-6 Mon - Thurs. Half price on the Half Shell. Pay full price for well made drinks and get fresh raw seafood at a true half price. If you enjoy the briny love that is raw oysters and clams please do yourself a favor and stop in. They have several combination platters which at half price are well worth the trip.



I ordered a dozen assorted oysters, the offering was as follows:







  • Harpswell Flats Me.



  • Mayflower Point Ma.



  • Raspberry Point PEI



  • Watch hill RI.



All the shellfish met or exceeded my expectations. I slurped some plain, some with the mignonette, and several with the cocktail sauce. I believe there were some Wellfleet on the platter also. I do have to mention that the final oyster was rather funky and muddy but I survived. The libations and the oysters put me In a good place. I kept texting company with UD and was thankful for his electronic camaraderie.
The menu offered something for everyone. There were wraps and burgers, several sandwiches and the higher end grill offerings. I spent the majority of my time with the next three barstools empty. However, half way through my raw experience I was joined by the Double-hat twins. Double baseball hat, Double flannel shirt, Double pints and Double bowls of Chili. Papa bore a resemblance to a chubby Richard Dreyfus and sonny-boy was a Denny Hamlin lookalike. Well behaved and welcome but they seemed a little out of place. Their Chili arrived with some raw onion and looked beefy and delicious. I think I made mike a little nervous with my note taking but I took good care of him and we parted ways mutually content.
I will return. Most likely between the hours of 3-6 PM.
I thank you all for visiting and ask that you frequent my advertisers with a click or two, Daddy needs a new pair of shoes, and those clicks keep me well heeled.
What's next ??? Its Pressed Its Melted It’s a Classic and Its nearby.

******Stay tuned*******
I sign off Wardamon- Thank you for choosing

No comments:

Post a Comment