Pages

Dave and the Drag Queens

Dave and the Drag Queens
Bread - The Staff of Life

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year






Happy New Year


Well the people have awoke up to the aroma of French Onion Soup. Caramelized onion in a rich beef stock simmered low and slow has made the New Year a hearty one. I deglazed with some Port wine and finished it off with sherry. The first round of tasters said " just like in the restaurant " . When the medium sized females joined the festivities it was clear :
"Better than any restaurant " stated Beans.
I sliced some really crusty French bread thick and let it stale on top of the fridge. I cut my onions two ways - sliced like you would an onion ring and then against the layers. I wanted a couple of ranges of mouth feel.

I used Vidalia, Yellow and Red Onions about 4 pounds. I had frozen beef stock from a bygone beef stock making weekend and I helped it along with a few cans of Swanson beef broth. I started with 1 stick of whole salted butter on low in the big stock pot while I began cutting the onions. I also used 3 large cloves of organic garlic ( from Weggies) which I ground into a paste with kosher salt. I did this because I wanted the garlic flavor but I did not want little chunks of minced garlic on the spoon. This is French Onion soup not French Garlic soup. I cooked those onions on low for about 25 minutes and then cranked it up to medium high. This is when the magic began. The onions started to caramelize and stick to the bottom. I worked them around and scraped as I went along. The Med/Hi process went on for about 12-15 minutes. I deglazed with a half cup of Port wine and simmered some more. No seasoning yet. I reduced the port to au sec. I added Kosher salt and fresh pepper and some Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire and that’s it ! I added the thawed beef stock and the three cans of beef broth. Slow simmer for about 30 minutes hit it with a few ounces of dry sherry and shut it down. I suggest a night in the fridge to allow the flavors to marry. Next year I will make this one the day before.
I pulled the familiar brown crocks from their nested homes. We have a full contingent maybe 10 in all, with covers. I found some Equal packets in one and a small diamond stud earring in another. All the remaining crocks were clear. I washed and rinsed them checking for any crusty cheese residue from days gone by. I tossed the bread onto a sheet pan for a final crusting and into a 275 oven. I built each crock with very very (or Werry Werry as they say on Cake Boss) hot soup - a chunk of bread and a combination of Swiss and Fontina. Baked under the broiler for about 6 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned.
A new Smith holiday tradition is born.
While all of this was going on I was fortunate enough to Skype with Melissa and Clare, my daughter-in-law and granddaughter. Clare stated unequivocally through her various squeaks and roars that she could not wait to try Nompii's soup. There is always next year baby girl, next year.

I bid you adieu
Damondoof






No comments:

Post a Comment