Pages

Dave and the Drag Queens

Dave and the Drag Queens
Bread - The Staff of Life

Sunday, March 7, 2010

accidents will happen- Lent Pizza

Sometimes mistakes can evolve into wonderful things. Home alone ( not the movie)this past Friday I was wanting to dive into a Whole Wheat Pizza Recipe. Since it is Lent I needed some meat free toppings. I used 3 cups of white flour , 3.5 cups of whole wheat flour ,1 cup of Bisquick ( HUH ?!), 2 tablespoons of honey,1 tablespoon of kosher salt, yeast - water and some olive oil. I cranked up the oven to 400 to proof the dough. I will usually pre-heat the oven and then shut it down to proof any bread dough. I guess the oven was too hot because the dough started to cook. The plastic wrap I used over the stainless steel bowl melted and pulled itself back to the rim of the bowl. RUINED !! I thought …. But the dough was clean. I pulled it out and let it cool off on top of the fridge. I re-kneaded it and prepared the toppings. One pie was Shrimp Parmesan , rough cut garlic and split shrimp with a jarred alfredo sauce. I used a little OLD BAY on the shrimp. The second pie was baby spinach, artichokes, thinly sliced red onion, Feta and the same chunked fresh garlic. I used marinara sauce for the spinach. I rolled out the dough really thin and cranked the oven to 500. Kathleen, my daughter and her friend Ashley were setting up Julie and Julia in the living room ( great food flick).Which is what inspired me to BLOG. The pies came out perfect. Kathleen said it was the best pizza I have ever made. I love pizza… I say pizza is like sex, even bad pizza is still pizza. Bread - cheese-sauce, you really can't go wrong. More to come… God Bless

2 comments: