Pages

Dave and the Drag Queens

Dave and the Drag Queens
Bread - The Staff of Life

Sunday, March 27, 2011

THE MEN YOU


I consider myself a wordsmith. I love finding a new word and researching it to discover its meaning and sometime origin. I love to hate finding a misspelling on a menu when I go out to eat. I can usually find one. I recently have visited a local new high end Italian place where I caught a couple.

The French Onion Soup was made with Camelized onions. - Apparently they rubbed the onions on the humps for flavor. I asked the waitress if these dromedaries were African or Egyptian. In other words " One Hump or Two " ?


Chicken Cacciatore was printed as Caca..... ; which loosely translated means chicken shit. I passed on that one.


The word Ristorante was spelled three different ways, from being etched on the front door to the menus.


On the specials board they advertized Prong Shrimp, which were really just a jumbo shrimp cocktail offering from the raw bar. I guess they were trying to say prawns, which generally are freshwater shrimp. If you order these be cautious not to prick yourself.

I recently read a banquet menu that stated "free hors will be served" I am glad someone is footing the bill.

A pre-packaged product at a local bodega : Breakfast Supper Burrito, this product was made with Sassage, Harsh Browns, Ham, Eggs, and Cheese. The weiners are made with extra ass and a little sage. While most spuds are duds these taters are pissed. Now you can have your midnight snack at noon.

On some "Chinatown Menus"

- Chicken Anal Sphincter Stew. Served still quivering, no more- no less.

- Hot and Spicy Dick Heart - Under poultry, Starring Mel Glibson.

- Garlic Softshell Crap - At least its softshell, I hate my crap crunchy.


While having lunch in Albany with my buddy Rod several years ago we encountered a deep fried perch sandwich served " fresh from the sea" . I took advantage of that opportunity to ask the server: " Is the shark steak harpooned or caught in a net?" She went to check with the kitchen, she has still not come back.

How about Dreaded Veal Cutlet ? Are you hesitant to order or is it cooked Rastafarian style?

Scared Salmon with Lemon Butter ? Don't be afraid it has Omega 3.

Candid Yams- At least they are On-ist.


Granted, some non English food items can be difficult to spell. But there are resources.


When I opened Lighthouse Catering in Willimantic I picked up a copy of the Food Lovers Companion. This became a staple in the next several kitchens. Today however the internet is your resource for correct spelling of all food items. Do you have a recent or favorite menu typo ? Share....


"Sex is good, but not as good as fresh, sweet corn." ~Garrison Keillor


I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST. TFN

No comments:

Post a Comment